rust-dev will be shut down soon

Brian Anderson
You likely have already noticed, but traffic to rust-dev has decreased dramatically in recent months. This was a result of natural changes in project coordination at first, and then an intentional effort to phase out the list.

In the beginning of the project there were only two places to talk about rust: #rust and rust-dev, and they served us well for all purposes for several years. As Rust grew though the coordination of the project moved to different venues, conversations were happening in a number of other places, and the purpose of rust-dev became less clear. At the same time there were also a number of heated and essentially unmoderatable discussions that caused many to lose faith in the effectiveness of the mailing list.

For the last few weeks the existence of rust-dev has no longer been publicly advertised, and yesterday I made the request to Mozilla IT to shut down the list for good. The archives will remain available since they provide information of potential historical interest. I know some people prefer mailing lists and to them I offer my regrets.
As of now these are the recommended places to discuss Rust:

* https://discuss.rust-lang.org - Project coordination ('internals' discussion) and design discussion
* https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs - PR's for fully-baked near-term proposals, and the issue tracker for longer-term designs
* https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/rust - Specific questions about how to use the language
* http://reddit.com/r/rust - Links, news, announcements, discussions
* The various IRC channels

In the coming weeks we will also set up a second Discourse instance for general Rust discussion (compared to the current one at discuss.rust-lang.org which is for 'internals'). The intent is to provide a place for all types of discussion about Rust that will scale to the needs of the project as it grows, and to replace some of the remaining role of rust-dev as a general discussion forum. It is not intended to replace either StackOverflow nor Reddit, but to complement them by accommodating types and volumes of content that may be less appropriate for those venues.

Some of the recent conversations on this topic are:

* https://github.com/rust-lang/meeting-minutes/blob/master/weekly-meetings/2015-01-20.md
* https://www.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/2t405p/weekly_meeting_20150120_goodbye_view_items_deref/

Regards,
Brian

Re: [OT] discourse bridge [was: rust-dev will be shut down soon]

Richo Healey
On 22/01/15 11:59 -0800, Brian Anderson wrote:
>You likely have already noticed, but traffic to rust-dev has decreased
>dramatically in recent months. This was a result of natural changes in
>project coordination at first, and then an intentional effort to phase out
>the list.

For anyone else like me who's forum averse, I'm currently poking around with
what options are available to browse Discourse as email.

This comes up a lot (I found a lot of threads on meta.discourse.com about it)
but the conclusion seems to be that reply-by-email is supported, but in
general, email/nntp is not a particularly supported way to browse.

That said, I would love to hear if anyone else has done this successfully.
I'll have a poke at trying to get a gateway working, if it's not too much
work I will notify people (presumably on discourse, I guess :))

Re: [OT] discourse bridge [was: rust-dev will be shut down soon]

Bryan Bell
The best I found was to subscribe to watch the topics I'm interested in.

I went to <a href="http://discuss.rust-lang.org/users/[username]/preferences">http://discuss.rust-lang.org/users/[username]/preferences and under Categories -> added the ones I was interested in.
It'll email you whenever there's a new topic or reply in any of those categories.

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Richo Healey <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 22/01/15 11:59 -0800, Brian Anderson wrote:
You likely have already noticed, but traffic to rust-dev has decreased
dramatically in recent months. This was a result of natural changes in
project coordination at first, and then an intentional effort to phase out
the list.

For anyone else like me who's forum averse, I'm currently poking around with
what options are available to browse Discourse as email.

This comes up a lot (I found a lot of threads on meta.discourse.com about it)
but the conclusion seems to be that reply-by-email is supported, but in
general, email/nntp is not a particularly supported way to browse.

That said, I would love to hear if anyone else has done this successfully.
I'll have a poke at trying to get a gateway working, if it's not too much
work I will notify people (presumably on discourse, I guess :))

-- Regards
Bryan

Re: [OT] discourse bridge [was: rust-dev will be shut down soon]

comex

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 4:58 PM, Richo Healey <[hidden email]> wrote:
This comes up a lot (I found a lot of threads on meta.discourse.com about it)
but the conclusion seems to be that reply-by-email is supported, but in
general, email/nntp is not a particularly supported way to browse.

Due to the limitations of reply-by-email, I've settled on replying to Discourse threads on the web; but *reading* by email works fine, as long as you can tolerate HTML mail, so I've kept "Receive an email for every new post" on and read the Discourse forum the same as I do mailing lists, using the link at the bottom of each post if I want to reply.

Re: rust-dev will be shut down soon

Tomi Pieviläinen
My last comment about visibility of the discourse pretty much
immediately side-tracked into the merits and flaws of mailing lists...
But nobody really answered whether the absence of links from the Rust
homepage to the discourse was intentional.

Does internal use then mean that it is meant only for those "in the
know", and only the future general discourse will be put on the home
page? At least I'm interested in following the dev discussion, even if
I'm not an insider, and I heard of it purely by accident.

--
Tomi Pieviläinen, +358 400 487 504
A: Because it disrupts the natural way of thinking.

Re: rust-dev will be shut down soon

Manish Goregaokar
"internals" means compiler internals and all usually. (cf #rust-internals on IRC, the internals tag on Discourse, etc)

AFAICT it will still be completely open for all to comment on

-Manish Goregaokar

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Tomi Pieviläinen <[hidden email]> wrote:
My last comment about visibility of the discourse pretty much
immediately side-tracked into the merits and flaws of mailing lists...
But nobody really answered whether the absence of links from the Rust
homepage to the discourse was intentional.

Does internal use then mean that it is meant only for those "in the
know", and only the future general discourse will be put on the home
page? At least I'm interested in following the dev discussion, even if
I'm not an insider, and I heard of it purely by accident.

--
Tomi Pieviläinen, <a href="tel:%2B358%20400%20487%20504" value="+358400487504">+358 400 487 504
A: Because it disrupts the natural way of thinking.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Re: rust-dev will be shut down soon

Steve Klabnik
The current discourse has not been linked because it's for compiler
internals and language development, not general users. A second
instance is being set up for regular user discussion. It will get
linked from the home page. And both are available for anyone to
register in.

Re: rust-dev will be shut down soon

Brian Anderson
Tomi,

Once the new discourse instance is set up it will be publicized on the home page, and we may also decide then to put the internals forum there as well, since it's purpose will be less easily confused.

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 10:33 PM, Tomi Pieviläinen <[hidden email]> wrote:
My last comment about visibility of the discourse pretty much
immediately side-tracked into the merits and flaws of mailing lists...
But nobody really answered whether the absence of links from the Rust
homepage to the discourse was intentional.

Does internal use then mean that it is meant only for those "in the
know", and only the future general discourse will be put on the home
page? At least I'm interested in following the dev discussion, even if
I'm not an insider, and I heard of it purely by accident.

--
Tomi Pieviläinen, <a href="tel:%2B358%20400%20487%20504" value="+358400487504">+358 400 487 504
A: Because it disrupts the natural way of thinking.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Re: rust-dev will be shut down soon

techabc
Is there a way(i.e. a robot) to mirror the contents in read only mode of reddit/r/rust to this mailling lists?

Tomi,

Once the new discourse instance is set up it will be publicized on the home page, and we may also decide then to put the internals forum there as well, since it's purpose will be less easily confused.

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 10:33 PM, Tomi Pieviläinen <[hidden email]> wrote:
My last comment about visibility of the discourse pretty much
immediately side-tracked into the merits and flaws of mailing lists...
But nobody really answered whether the absence of links from the Rust
homepage to the discourse was intentional.

Does internal use then mean that it is meant only for those "in the
know", and only the future general discourse will be put on the home
page? At least I'm interested in following the dev discussion, even if
I'm not an insider, and I heard of it purely by accident.

--
Tomi Pieviläinen, <a href="tel:%2B358%20400%20487%20504" value="+358400487504" target="_blank">+358 400 487 504
A: Because it disrupts the natural way of thinking.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Re: rust-dev will be shut down soon

Damien Gérard

> On 20 May 2015, at 10:05, techabc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there a way(i.e. a robot) to mirror the contents in read only mode of reddit/r/rust to this mailling lists?

Reddit provides a RSS feed.
https://www.reddit.com/r/rust/.rss

> Tomi,
>
> Once the new discourse instance is set up it will be publicized on the home page, and we may also decide then to put the internals forum there as well, since it's purpose will be less easily confused.
>
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 10:33 PM, Tomi Pieviläinen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My last comment about visibility of the discourse pretty much
> immediately side-tracked into the merits and flaws of mailing lists...
> But nobody really answered whether the absence of links from the Rust
> homepage to the discourse was intentional.
>
> Does internal use then mean that it is meant only for those "in the
> know", and only the future general discourse will be put on the home
> page? At least I'm interested in following the dev discussion, even if
> I'm not an insider, and I heard of it purely by accident.
>
> --
> Tomi Pieviläinen, +358 400 487 504
> A: Because it disrupts the natural way of thinking.
> Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?