lib: Is anybody working on the datetime library?

lib: Is anybody working on the datetime library?

Luis de Bethencourt
Hello everyone,

I'm interested in helping with some module development. A good way to learn Rust by using it and help Rust at the same time.

Of the wanted modules in this page:

I'm attracted to datetime:

Just want to make sure there isn't anybody working on this to avoid accidental duplication.

Thanks,
Luis

Re: lib: Is anybody working on the datetime library?

Luis de Bethencourt
Forgot to say I'm luisbg in IRC.
For all of those who have seen/read me there.

:)

On 12 September 2013 16:12, Luis de Bethencourt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm interested in helping with some module development. A good way to learn Rust by using it and help Rust at the same time.

Of the wanted modules in this page:

I'm attracted to datetime:

Just want to make sure there isn't anybody working on this to avoid accidental duplication.

Thanks,
Luis

Re: lib: Is anybody working on the datetime library?

Bardur Arantsson
On 2013-09-12 22:12, Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm interested in helping with some module development. A good way to learn
> Rust by using it and help Rust at the same time.
>
> Of the wanted modules in this page:
> https://github.com/mozilla/rust/wiki/Libs

I see that this page does have a link to design docs for JSR-310 which
is probably a good bet as to a usable DateTime API design (for Java at
least). I just thought I'd mention that the documentation for the
"nearly final" (i.e. barring serious bugs) API has been released at:

   http://download.java.net/jdk8/docs/technotes/guides/datetime/index.html

Even if this is for Java, the design decisions about how the conepts of
date/time are modeled (Instant vs. *DateTime, Periods, Durations, etc.)
would apply in any language. They are also all essential concepts when
working seriously with date/time even though the distinctions may not
appear so at first.

(I should mention that the lead on the JSR-310 spec was also the author
of JodaTime which gets much deserved credit by Java developers for
bringing date/time manipulation on the JVM out of the dark ages of
java.util.Date. JSR-310 is a slightly reworked/simplified version of
that API, so it's a sort of "what are the essentials?" version of JodaTime.)

Re: lib: Is anybody working on the datetime library?

Luis de Bethencourt
Hello Bardur,

Thank you so much for the reference resource of JSR-310 and its design docs.
I looked over it briefly and it is indeed very valuable.

It was listed in the wiki page, but the link was to the former home of it.
I have updated it.

Since nobody has claimed this module, I will start working on this module tomorrow Saturday.
Is that OK?

Please, please, I would love more comments and ideas. Will start asking for reviews once I have some code to show.

Thanks,
Luis

On 2013-09-12 22:12, Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm interested in helping with some module development. A good way to learn
> Rust by using it and help Rust at the same time.
>
> Of the wanted modules in this page:
> https://github.com/mozilla/rust/wiki/Libs

I see that this page does have a link to design docs for JSR-310 which
is probably a good bet as to a usable DateTime API design (for Java at
least). I just thought I'd mention that the documentation for the
"nearly final" (i.e. barring serious bugs) API has been released at:

   http://download.java.net/jdk8/docs/technotes/guides/datetime/index.html

Even if this is for Java, the design decisions about how the conepts of
date/time are modeled (Instant vs. *DateTime, Periods, Durations, etc.)
would apply in any language. They are also all essential concepts when
working seriously with date/time even though the distinctions may not
appear so at first.

(I should mention that the lead on the JSR-310 spec was also the author
of JodaTime which gets much deserved credit by Java developers for
bringing date/time manipulation on the JVM out of the dark ages of
java.util.Date. JSR-310 is a slightly reworked/simplified version of
that API, so it's a sort of "what are the essentials?" version of JodaTime.)

Re: lib: Is anybody working on the datetime library?

Gareth Smith
I think its great that you are going to be working on this. A comprehensive datetime library is very important. That said I have not got any particular ideas or comments.

I have not used Joda time/JSR-310 but the docs look promising and lots of people seem to recommend it.

Cheers
Gareth

On 2013-09-12 22:12, Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm interested in helping with some module development. A good way to learn
> Rust by using it and help Rust at the same time.
>
> Of the wanted modules in this page:
> https://github.com/mozilla/rust/wiki/Libs

I see that this page does have a link to design docs for JSR-310 which
is probably a good bet as to a usable DateTime API design (for Java at
least). I just thought I'd mention that the documentation for the
"nearly final" (i.e. barring serious bugs) API has been released at:

   http://download.java.net/jdk8/docs/technotes/guides/datetime/index.html

Even if this is for Java, the design decisions about how the conepts of
date/time are modeled (Instant vs. *DateTime, Periods, Durations, etc.)
would apply in any language. They are also all essential concepts when
working seriously with date/time even though the distinctions may not
appear so at first.

(I should mention that the lead on the JSR-310 spec was also the author
of JodaTime which gets much deserved credit by Java developers for
bringing date/time manipulation on the JVM out of the dark ages of
java.util.Date. JSR-310 is a slightly reworked/simplified version of
that API, so it's a sort of "what are the essentials?" version of JodaTime.)

Re: lib: Is anybody working on the datetime library?

Aaron Dandy
I remember reading this article: http://noda-time.blogspot.com/2011/08/what-wrong-with-datetime-anyway.html a while back and really appreciating date time & time zone libraries. Also after reading news of the leap second triggering a bug on a bunch of systems I now question all assumptions I make about our representations of time. I can no longer say that a minute is 60 seconds long with a straight face. Next up I guess we programmers have a year 2038 problem to deal with too. This library will be a big deal to write but there thankfully there should be a lot of existing knowledge to learn from.

On 2013-09-12 22:12, Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm interested in helping with some module development. A good way to learn
> Rust by using it and help Rust at the same time.
>
> Of the wanted modules in this page:
> https://github.com/mozilla/rust/wiki/Libs

I see that this page does have a link to design docs for JSR-310 which
is probably a good bet as to a usable DateTime API design (for Java at
least). I just thought I'd mention that the documentation for the
"nearly final" (i.e. barring serious bugs) API has been released at:

   http://download.java.net/jdk8/docs/technotes/guides/datetime/index.html

Even if this is for Java, the design decisions about how the conepts of
date/time are modeled (Instant vs. *DateTime, Periods, Durations, etc.)
would apply in any language. They are also all essential concepts when
working seriously with date/time even though the distinctions may not
appear so at first.

(I should mention that the lead on the JSR-310 spec was also the author
of JodaTime which gets much deserved credit by Java developers for
bringing date/time manipulation on the JVM out of the dark ages of
java.util.Date. JSR-310 is a slightly reworked/simplified version of
that API, so it's a sort of "what are the essentials?" version of JodaTime.)

Re: lib: Is anybody working on the datetime library?

David Rajchenbach-Teller
I believe that it would be a good idea to ensure that the Rust datetime
library is a superset of the JS Date object and that it passes a port of
the EcmaScript tests.

Cheers,
 David

--
David Rajchenbach-Teller, PhD
 Performance Team, Mozilla

Re: lib: Is anybody working on the datetime library?

Thad Guidry
One idea and use case for Paleontologists and Geologists coming over to Rust in droves... :-)

Generically, just be able to handle simple Geologic addition and subtraction against an Epoch itself (reference date) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoch_(reference_date) using known abbreviations.

And additionally, store, understand, and output them:

B.Y.B.P = Billion Years Before Present
M.Y.B.P = Million Years Before Present

On 2013-09-12 22:12, Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm interested in helping with some module development. A good way to learn
> Rust by using it and help Rust at the same time.
>
> Of the wanted modules in this page:
> https://github.com/mozilla/rust/wiki/Libs

I see that this page does have a link to design docs for JSR-310 which
is probably a good bet as to a usable DateTime API design (for Java at
least). I just thought I'd mention that the documentation for the
"nearly final" (i.e. barring serious bugs) API has been released at:

   http://download.java.net/jdk8/docs/technotes/guides/datetime/index.html

Even if this is for Java, the design decisions about how the conepts of
date/time are modeled (Instant vs. *DateTime, Periods, Durations, etc.)
would apply in any language. They are also all essential concepts when
working seriously with date/time even though the distinctions may not
appear so at first.

(I should mention that the lead on the JSR-310 spec was also the author
of JodaTime which gets much deserved credit by Java developers for
bringing date/time manipulation on the JVM out of the dark ages of
java.util.Date. JSR-310 is a slightly reworked/simplified version of
that API, so it's a sort of "what are the essentials?" version of JodaTime.)

Re: lib: Is anybody working on the datetime library?

Corey Richardson
On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Luis de Bethencourt
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please, please, I would love more comments and ideas. Will start asking for
> reviews once I have some code to show.

Joda-Time looks quite nice. My only desire from a datetime lib is
"easy to use correctly".

Re: lib: Is anybody working on the datetime library?

Thad Guidry
Additionally,

Be able to convert "bya" to "mya" ?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bya

The short scale is now commonly used, btw... but also need to deal with this for conversions:

There should be a preference boolean for conversion output for short or long scale... especially concerning above a thousand million.

That's enough to get you going with some wild ideas that Jodatime does not handle.

On 2013-09-12 22:12, Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm interested in helping with some module development. A good way to learn
> Rust by using it and help Rust at the same time.
>
> Of the wanted modules in this page:
> https://github.com/mozilla/rust/wiki/Libs

I see that this page does have a link to design docs for JSR-310 which
is probably a good bet as to a usable DateTime API design (for Java at
least). I just thought I'd mention that the documentation for the
"nearly final" (i.e. barring serious bugs) API has been released at:

   http://download.java.net/jdk8/docs/technotes/guides/datetime/index.html

Even if this is for Java, the design decisions about how the conepts of
date/time are modeled (Instant vs. *DateTime, Periods, Durations, etc.)
would apply in any language. They are also all essential concepts when
working seriously with date/time even though the distinctions may not
appear so at first.

(I should mention that the lead on the JSR-310 spec was also the author
of JodaTime which gets much deserved credit by Java developers for
bringing date/time manipulation on the JVM out of the dark ages of
java.util.Date. JSR-310 is a slightly reworked/simplified version of
that API, so it's a sort of "what are the essentials?" version of JodaTime.)

Re: lib: Is anybody working on the datetime library?

Luis de Bethencourt
Cool!

Great and awesome feedback. The summary is that Joda-Time is what we should aspire to have.

My goal is to first cover the "most common use cases", and as Corey says, "easy to use correctly".

After that I can start considering the corner cases like bya and mya. Which sound very fun and interesting, but not high priority.
Hopefully by then I won't be too consumed by the question of what is Time.

Thanks, will keep you guys updated,
Luis

On 2013-09-12 22:12, Luis de Bethencourt wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm interested in helping with some module development. A good way to learn
> Rust by using it and help Rust at the same time.
>
> Of the wanted modules in this page:
> https://github.com/mozilla/rust/wiki/Libs

I see that this page does have a link to design docs for JSR-310 which
is probably a good bet as to a usable DateTime API design (for Java at
least). I just thought I'd mention that the documentation for the
"nearly final" (i.e. barring serious bugs) API has been released at:

   http://download.java.net/jdk8/docs/technotes/guides/datetime/index.html

Even if this is for Java, the design decisions about how the conepts of
date/time are modeled (Instant vs. *DateTime, Periods, Durations, etc.)
would apply in any language. They are also all essential concepts when
working seriously with date/time even though the distinctions may not
appear so at first.

(I should mention that the lead on the JSR-310 spec was also the author
of JodaTime which gets much deserved credit by Java developers for
bringing date/time manipulation on the JVM out of the dark ages of
java.util.Date. JSR-310 is a slightly reworked/simplified version of
that API, so it's a sort of "what are the essentials?" version of JodaTime.)

Re: lib: Is anybody working on the datetime library?

Flaper87

2013/9/13 Luis de Bethencourt <[hidden email]>
Cool!

Great and awesome feedback. The summary is that Joda-Time is what we should aspire to have.

My goal is to first cover the "most common use cases", and as Corey says, "easy to use correctly".

After that I can start considering the corner cases like bya and mya. Which sound very fun and interesting, but not high priority.
Hopefully by then I won't be too consumed by the question of what is Time.

Another thing that I'd like to see there is a good handling of TZs. Many datetime libraries got that wrong. Here's a blog post Armin wrote that may be helpful.

Thanks for taking care of this.
FF

Re: lib: Is anybody working on the datetime library?

Luis de Bethencourt
That is a really good article and a very valid point.

Writing down all the feedback for future reference in my development.

Thanks FF,
Luis

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 15:10:21 -0400
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

On 13 September 2013 00:57, Bardur Arantsson <spam@scientici

Re: lib: Is anybody working on the datetime library?

Luis de Bethencourt
That is a very interesting read.

We certainly should learn from the experiences of other languages. This being a good example.
I will be revisiting the linked documents listed in this thread repeatedly.

Fortunately the issue he mentions about NULLs creating random bugs, is taken care of by Rust's safety.

Thanks,
Luis

On 13 September 2013 19:21, Jason Fager <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello all,

I've created this repository as a placeholder:

It won't have much content for a while since I won't commit until there is at least one usable API function, and I'm currently in the researching and planning stage. Patience.

Thanks,
Luis

On 13 September 2013 21:09, Luis de Bethencourt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Chris Peterson
A Rust datetime library has been on my to-do list for a long time. :)

JSR-310 is a very complete solution, but it carries a lot of Java
baggage. C++11's std::chrono library [1] defines a smaller API for time
points and durations without calendars (i.e. the hard part).
std::chrono's API might be more "rustic" than JSR-310's because C++ and
Rust have operator overloading.

I strongly recommend reading Erik Naggum's "The Long, Painful History of
Time" [2] about Common Lisp's support for the "concept of time as humans
experience it."  :)

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh874757.aspx
[2] http://naggum.no/lugm-time.html

chris

Re: lib: Is anybody working on the datetime library?

Luis de Bethencourt
Hello Chris,

That article by Erik Naggum looks deeply interesting. Just loaded it to read in bed in a few hours tonight.

Thanks for your input. Might ask you a few questions in the near future.

Luis