iOS cross compilation

Valerii Hiora
Hi,

  So finally Rust can cross-compile for iOS (armv7 only for now). BTW,
it also means that Rust now can be used both for iOS and Android
low-level development.

  Short instructions are available here:
  https://github.com/mozilla/rust/wiki/Doc-building-for-ios

  Unfortunately LLVM patch for supporting segmented stacks on armv7 was
declined by Apple (it used kind of private API) and therefore there is
no stack protection at all.

  It still could be enabled by compiling with a patched LLVM (I can
provide a patch and instructions if needed).

  Everything else should "just work" but let me know if you have any
problem.

  Valerii

iOS cross compilation

Alex Crichton
Nice job Valerii! This is all thanks to the awesome work you've been
doing wrangling compiler-rt and the standard libraries. I'm excited to
see what new applications Rust can serve on iOS!

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Valerii Hiora <valerii.hiora at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   So finally Rust can cross-compile for iOS (armv7 only for now). BTW,
> it also means that Rust now can be used both for iOS and Android
> low-level development.
>
>   Short instructions are available here:
>   https://github.com/mozilla/rust/wiki/Doc-building-for-ios
>
>   Unfortunately LLVM patch for supporting segmented stacks on armv7 was
> declined by Apple (it used kind of private API) and therefore there is
> no stack protection at all.
>
>   It still could be enabled by compiling with a patched LLVM (I can
> provide a patch and instructions if needed).
>
>   Everything else should "just work" but let me know if you have any
> problem.
>
> --
>
>   Valerii

iOS cross compilation

Benjamin Striegel
This is great! But how are we testing this? Do we have an iOS buildbot? Or
is it liable to break at any moment?