Rustaceans - Rust User Groups

Simon Flynn
Hi Rustaceans,

With the rust-dev mailing list in a semi-abanandonded state, we have decided to
create a new place where people can gather to talk all thing Rust, but in
particular to help organize local meetups and other gatherings (e.g.
conferences, open days etc).

Rust on,
Simon

--
Simon Flynn
https://www.financejobs.co

Re: Rustaceans - Rust User Groups

Manish Goregaokar
users.rust-lang.org is usually good enough for this. You can also email [hidden email] if you want to contact the community team (we may set up a separate forum for event organizers &c)

Thanks,

-Manish Goregaokar

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 11:22:49AM -0300, Douglas Campos wrote:
> and where is this place you mention?

Hi,

Can't believe I forgot the link!

  https://www.rustaceans.com/

Simon

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 11:12 AM, Simon Flynn <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Rustaceans,
> >
> > With the rust-dev mailing list in a semi-abanandonded state, we have
> > decided to
> > create a new place where people can gather to talk all thing Rust, but in
> > particular to help organize local meetups and other gatherings (e.g.
> > conferences, open days etc).
> >
> > Rust on,
> > Simon
> >
> > --
> > Simon Flynn
> > https://www.financejobs.co

Simon Flynn
https://www.financejobs.co

Re: Rustaceans - Rust User Groups

Simon Sapin
On 11/08/15 16:12, Simon Flynn wrote:
> Hi Rustaceans,
>
> With the rust-dev mailing list in a semi-abanandonded state,

Hi Simon,

Are you aware of https://users.rust-lang.org/ ?

> we have decided

Who is "we"?

> to create a new place where people can gather to talk all thing Rust,
> but in particular to help organize local meetups and other gatherings
> (e.g. conferences, open days etc).

> https://www.rustaceans.com/

I regularly attend the meetups in Paris. They are organized on
meetup.com/Rust-Paris and on #rust-fr IRC. I don’t remember hearing of a
desire for yet another communication channel. Did someone ask for
[hidden email]?

--
Simon Sapin

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 10:11:10PM +0200, Simon Sapin wrote:
> On 11/08/15 16:12, Simon Flynn wrote:
> Are you aware of https://users.rust-lang.org/ ?

Yes, I'm aware. However, the focus of rustaceans.com will be fostering small,
tight knit communities akin to what Perl Mongers is to Perl, whereas
users.rust-lang.org is more for discussions of Rust itself.

> >we have decided
>
> Who is "we"?

The small team at Finance Jobs.

> I regularly attend the meetups in Paris. They are organized on
> meetup.com/Rust-Paris and on #rust-fr IRC. I don’t remember hearing
> of a desire for yet another communication channel. Did someone ask
> for [hidden email]?

The initial list of existing mailing lists where taken from the list of
Rust 1.0 Launch Party events. Paris was one of them :)

Simon

--
Simon Flynn
https://www.financejobs.co

Re: Rustaceans - Rust User Groups

Sean McArthur
I'd be wary of some of the lists, such as rust-core, rust-bugs, rust-announce, etc, that some may think are official.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 1:38 PM Simon Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 10:11:10PM +0200, Simon Sapin wrote:
> On 11/08/15 16:12, Simon Flynn wrote:
> Are you aware of https://users.rust-lang.org/ ?

Yes, I'm aware. However, the focus of rustaceans.com will be fostering small,
tight knit communities akin to what Perl Mongers is to Perl, whereas
users.rust-lang.org is more for discussions of Rust itself.

> >we have decided
>
> Who is "we"?

The small team at Finance Jobs.

> I regularly attend the meetups in Paris. They are organized on
> meetup.com/Rust-Paris and on #rust-fr IRC. I don’t remember hearing
> of a desire for yet another communication channel. Did someone ask
> for [hidden email]?

The initial list of existing mailing lists where taken from the list of
Rust 1.0 Launch Party events. Paris was one of them :)

Simon

--
Simon Flynn
https://www.financejobs.co

Re: Rustaceans - Rust User Groups

Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski
I'm sad this list is inactive, I like my mailing lists and don't really
love web forums. I was very surprised when today I got first e-mail, I
forgot I subscribed. :-)

Re: Rustaceans - Rust User Groups

Tony Arcieri
On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 3:52 PM, Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm sad this list is inactive, I like my mailing lists and don't really love web forums. I was very surprised when today I got first e-mail, I forgot I subscribed. :-)

If rustaceans.com were to host a general Rust discussion email list (e.g. rust-talk), I'd subscribe

--
Tony Arcieri

W dniu 12.08.2015 o 00:57, Tony Arcieri pisze:
If rustaceans.com were to host a general Rust discussion email list (e.g. rust-talk), I'd subscribe

I see they have rust-users, but the archives are empty. Well, I guess that's the world we're living. I might as well stick to /r/rust for now.

Re: Rustaceans - Rust User Groups

Simon Flynn
Hi Sean,

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 10:50:12PM +0000, Sean McArthur wrote:
> I'd be wary of some of the lists, such as rust-core, rust-bugs,
> rust-announce, etc, that some may think are official.

Mozilla having semi-closed their rust-dev mailing list was the
motivation for hosting the rust-* lists.

Simon

--
Simon Flynn
https://www.financejobs.co

Re: Rustaceans - Rust User Groups

Simon Flynn
Hi Emil,

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 01:00:33AM +0200, Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski wrote:
> W dniu 12.08.2015 o 00:57, Tony Arcieri pisze:
> >If rustaceans.com <http://rustaceans.com> were to host a general
> >Rust discussion email list (e.g. rust-talk), I'd subscribe
>
> I see they have rust-users, but the archives are empty. Well, I
> guess that's the world we're living. I might as well stick to
> /r/rust for now.

I hope that was in jest - rustaceans.com has only been live for 9 hours.

Simon

--
Simon Flynn
https://www.financejobs.co

Re: Rustaceans - Rust User Groups

Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski

> I hope that was in jest - rustaceans.com has only been live for 9 hours.

Uh oh! I'm sorry, I didn't read the whole thread and that's what I get,
being a fool! :)

Re: Rustaceans - Rust User Groups

Sean McArthur
Yes I know. Even just adding `Unofficial' in the description of those lists would help prevent confusion, I think.

The 'official' rust-core is https://internals.rust-lang.org

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 6:58 PM, Sean McArthur <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes I know. Even just adding `Unofficial' in the description of those lists would help prevent confusion, I think.

To me "Rustaceans" implies unofficial/community organized, all the way down to Ferris.

--
Tony Arcieri

Re: Rustaceans - Rust User Groups

Diggory Hardy

Hey, Rust is community-owned[1]. Mozilla are driving a lot of the development and paying several developers, but they don't own it, so the only thing 'official' can mean is 'endorsed by key developers'; thus I don't see much point worrying about the 'unofficial' part.

That said, I don't see much value to a 'rust-core' list in addition to the forum. Also, rust-help and rust-users look a little bit like the same thing.

[1]: https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/blob/master/AUTHORS.txt

On Tuesday 11 August 2015 19:02:17 Tony Arcieri wrote:

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 6:58 PM, Sean McArthur <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes I know. Even just adding `Unofficial' in the description of those lists would help prevent confusion, I think.

To me "Rustaceans" implies unofficial/community organized, all the way down to Ferris.

--

Tony Arcieri

Re: Rustaceans - Rust User Groups

Aaron Turon
Just to clarify a bit: Rust has a governance structure [1] that includes a core team and several area-specific subteams drawn from the entire Rust community. The core team is generally responsible for cross-cutting and policy decisions, as well as Rust's official web presence.

The core team made a deliberate decision, many months ago, to "shut down" the mailing list (which had largely died out) in favor of our discourse forums [2] [3], which have many advantages and which are seeing strong use every day, and which can be used like traditional mailing lists if you prefer.

As Diggory said, Mozilla has sponsored development but does not "own" the project. However, Mozilla does own the trademark for Rust on behalf of the core team. The core team has been actively hammering out some guidelines about exactly what this thread is discussing -- when it's appropriate to use the Rust logo/trademarks in association with a commercial product -- that we hope to make public very soon. But in the meantime, would you consider somehow changing the site to appear less official, perhaps by adding "Unofficial" prominently on the site as was earlier suggested? It's of course fine to create your own mailing lists, but our discourse forums are currently the official place for open-ended discussion.

Thanks,
Aaron Turon

[1]: https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/pull/1068
[2]: http://internals.rust-lang.org/
[3]: http://users.rust-lang.org/

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 09:33:34AM -0700, Aaron Turon wrote:
> As Diggory said, Mozilla has sponsored development but does not "own" the
> project. However, Mozilla does own the trademark for Rust on behalf of the
> core team. The core team has been actively hammering out some guidelines
> about exactly what this thread is discussing -- when it's appropriate to
> use the Rust logo/trademarks in association with a commercial product --
> that we hope to make public very soon. But in the meantime, would you
> consider somehow changing the site to appear less official, perhaps by
> adding "Unofficial" prominently on the site as was earlier suggested?

Happily just changed the logo to Ferris The Crab, courtesy of Karen Rustad. The
intention was never to be or mimic an official channel. Apologies if it ever
came out that way.

> It's of course fine to create your own mailing lists, but our discourse
> forums are currently the official place for open-ended discussion.

That's totally fine but I honestly think that separate mailing lists per
locality would serve the community better. That's my entire rationale for
building Rustaceans.com - I'm scratching my own itch, trying to follow the
example of what the Perl Monger's user groups have done to build Perl's great
community.

At the moment the Discourse forum is flat with only four categories. Finding
and organising a local group is getting lost in between the sea of people
looking for help with Rust. There's too much noise-to-signal happening. I don't
thing anyone can disagree with me here.

Other's will say that Meetup.com fills this gap. However if you have ever tried
to have a conversation within it's comments, you will find they are next to
useless.

Simon

--
Simon Flynn